Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ordinary

If I were to describe myself in a few words, I would probably tell people about some of my qualities.  You know...hit the "highlights" of who I am.  People generally like to share the good things about themselves.  We like to talk about certain goals we have accomplished on life's road.  For example, someone might start by talking about how they graduated with a MBA, are now the CEO of the company, drive a brand new car, live in a huge house by the lake, & how their kids are the greatest athletes on the face of the earth.  These are all great things, huh?!  I mean...don't get me wrong, if God has blessed you with these great things then that truly is something to talk about!  However, if we are referring to these things as something that we feel that we have done on our own, OR if we choose to tell others about these great things to prove our self-worth...then it's not giving the glory to the One who deserves the glory.

God has really been convicting my heart lately about who deserves the glory.  It's really easy to say, "Look at me!  I'm a MISSIONARY!  I live in a foreign country with my wife & 3 kids.  We are just doing what God has called us to do here in Brazil."  Even though all of that is true, it's easy to say it with the wrong emphasis & attitude.  It is easy to "brag" to someone about leaving everything behind in the States to follow God's call.  But...that's not right.  It's no different than the person in the States bragging about all of the material possessions & great career that they have.

What I'm attempting to say is this:  God is showing me that no matter what my socioeconomic status, no matter what country I live in, no matter what kind of house, apartment, shack, or box I call home, no matter how much money I make per month, no matter anything...He deserves the glory. It's easy to get caught up in the "look at me" mode of life & forget that He asks ALL of us to give the Father the glory for the things He has done.
I'm reading a book about the disciples & how they were just ordinary men.  It's encouraging to know that the Creator of the world calls ordinary men to serve His purpose.  I'm not a person who is of great political influence or who comes from a great line of pastors & teachers.  I don't even have a Master's Degree.  I'm just Dee.  I'm an ordinary guy, a previous lumber salesman, whom God chose to send to Brazil to share the glory of His Son.  Wow...now that's humbling. 

Growing up I always had BIG dreams.  I wanted to be a major league baseball player, build a nice house, drive a nice car, have a lot of money, & live a happy life filled with lots of things.  God has granted a lot of those dreams, but he has also shown me that it's a good thing to be ordinary.  He calls ordinary people to do extraordinary things.  Just look at the 12 Apostles in the Bible.  They turned the world upside down!  My new dreams are to make much of His name, to live a life filled by the Holy Spirit, & to give ALL honor & glory to the Savior of the world.

"I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  - Galatians 2:20 

No comments:

Post a Comment