Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Haircut

When I was in college, I somehow got dubbed as the one who could give haircuts.  I'm not sure why...but this led into me cutting my own hair.  I usually keep my hair really short, so it's not like I have to use scissors to make it look good or anything.  A few years ago, I bought one of those hair kits with the clippers, attachments, scissors, comb...you know, the works!  It's a do-it-yourself hair kit for someone who doesn't like to spend money on a haircut.  Oh, and also for someone who might be affectionately dubbed as "The Barber."  (Not my real nickname, by the way.) 

Anyway, I have been cutting Camden's (excuse me...Tomás.  That's what he goes by here in Brasil since the brasileiros have a difficult time pronouncing his name) hair for a few years now.  Tomás' hair grows straight out.  If we let his hair grow long, he would look like the lead singer for Kool & the Gang.  It would be an all out Afro!  Maybe one day we will try it, but we've not experimented with that just yet.  Back to my story...

I started cutting my hair a long time ago because I didn't like to pay for a hair cut.  This has really proved to be a good decision.  I mean, do you know how difficult it is to find someone who can cut your hair JUST the way you like it?!  And, as many times as we have moved over the past 2 years, it has saved me some major stress!

Well, with our crazy language schedule & trying to get adjusted here in PoA, it had been about 10 weeks since I had cut my hair.  Now for those of you who really know me, I try to cut my hair every 3 weeks or so.  This was probably the longest my hair had been in over 10 years.  It was ridiculous.  I told Laura that since it was already so long I had decided to just let it grow until Thanksgiving.  That didn't go over well.

So, I got the clippers the out the other night & gave Tomás a trim.  After his cut, I caved in on trying to hold out until Thanksgiving & lowered my own ears.  I must confess...I was pretty happy with my cut.  It was WAY overdue!  Now I didn't have to wear my hat wherever we went.   :)    After my hair cleanup & shower, I came into the dining room where Laura was sitting at the table.  I was so proud to show off my new "do" to my girl.  I knew that she would be happy that I had finally cut it.  I sat down all cool & smooth & I said:

D:  So, what do you think?  You "like-ee?" 
L:  Oh, honey...wow.  (With big eyes & a little sarcasm thrown in there)
D:  What?  What's wrong?  Did I miss a spot?  Where?!
L:  Um...not sure how to tell you this, but...oh, wow.
D:  What?!  What's the matter?

L:  It's been a while since your hair was this short &, well...I think you may be getting a little older.
D:  What's that supposed to mean?
L:  Let's just say that you have some signs of "wisdom & maturity" showing up.
D:  Hey, it could be worse.  I could not have to worry about getting haircuts if I were BALD!

I'm getting old...gray hairs everywhere.  You know, God says that even the hairs of my head are numbered.  I've just kindly requested that He only number the gray ones less than 20!  Maybe next time I really will wait until Thanksgiving to cut it!  I keep telling myself, "You're as old as you feel, not as old as you look."  Ya...keep fooling yourself, grandpa!    :)             

1 comment:

  1. I've been holding to this verse! Looks like it's time to share it with you.

    "Gray hair is a crown of glory;
    it is gained in a righteous life."
    --Proverbs 16:31, ESV

    ReplyDelete